The initial goal of the Pierce Street Gateway is to study, stabilize, then preserve and restore the important historical structure at 1301 Pierce Street (the Old Calloway Store), while working to create a visitor center to serve as a hub for neighborhood tourism. Pierce Street Gateway aims to: 1. Promote tourism in Lynchburg, the region, and potentially even the state 2. Contribute to the preservation and renewal of an important Lynchburg community and neighborhood 3. Create a multi-faceted, multi-functional non-profit that will strengthen and sustain the Pierce Street community and neighborhood. Pierce Street Gateway will be a place where all the neighborhood stories can be woven together and presented to the public while offering facilities to support community tourism.
Our passion to tell the stories of those who made an impact on Pierce Street and improve the lived experiences of our current neighbors is supported by our values of:
- Understanding the unique needs of the neighborhood
- Recognizing our neighbors as our greatest asset
- Investing in partnerships
- Encouraging innovation, collaboration, creativity and sustainability
- The Pierce Street Gateway opened its community garden in 2021 in collaboration with the Lynchburg Business Alliance's Leadership Lynchburg. 45, Team Big Hearts.
- The Gateway hopes to raise enough money to refurbish and build an addition at 1301 Pierce St to support local tourism and community engagement.